Sunday, March 27, 2011

Zealous

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You’re on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
- Theodor Seuss Geisel
I wouldn't say Theodor is any where close to my favorite poets, neither would I say this is my favorite poem. Why does this make me zealous? I like Geisel and I have always enjoyed the books he has written mostly when I was a child. I feel like he expresses so much in so little, not just his poetry have meaning but his children books also makes you stop and think for a little. The book Yertle the Turtle is expressed by a turtle (Yertle) is the king of the pond, but he wants more. He demands that other turtles stack themselves up so he can sit on top of them to survey the land. Mack, the turtle at the bottom, is exhausted. He asks Yertle for a rest; Yertle ignores him and demands more turtles for a better view. Yertle is about to call for more turtles suddenly the turtle at the bottom, (Mack) burps. This movement topples the whole stack, sending Yertle flying into mud, and frees the rest of the turtles from their stacking duty. This is actually is a representation of WW II, Yertle represents Hitler. Even though Yertle the Turtle does not have anything really to do with poetry, it does show that Theodor is very good at killing to birds with one stone, he writes a children's book with rhyming words and bright colors, but then he also hides a very important message that is not really directed at children.
Is Theodor Geisel my favorite poet? No, but I like his writing because their is more to it then you actually think, and he knows how to tell something or get across a point with out the reader really know what is given.


1 comment: